Instrumentation Specialist - TEC Group International
and job purpose
The Instrumentation Specialist works as part of the site's Technical Engineering team and uses his/her technical expertise to manage the operation of the site's instrumentation to proactively promote process safety and reliability initiatives. The incumbent interacts with Operations, Engineering, Maintenance, Safety, Environmental personnel, and third-party contractors. The scope of work includes all aspects of maintaining and further development of the site's instrumentation systems, instrument upgrades, and assisting with troubleshooting and repair of instruments and equipment. The employee would also provide back-up support to the site's Analyzer Specialist.
All job activities should be executed in a safe and efficient manner consistent with the principles. The position is also accountable for asset engineer responsibilities for the integrity of instrumentation and safety systems as set out.
Responsibilities AND Accountabilities
- Provides technical support for the site's Process Safety Management (PSM) program.
- Promotes the principles, Life Saving Rules and the implementation of the Group Guidance Notes (GGN's). Takes ownership of Safety Instrument Systems and Safety Integrity Level GGN for the site.
- Champion the instrument mechanical integrity program and ensure compliance in his or her designated area.
- Ensure all instrumentation is designed, installed, maintained and functions as intended.
- Support of all Operations units and Maintenance I/E technicians to provide problem solving, troubleshooting, and training.
- Collaborate with members of Controls/Instrumentation group and other departments regularly.
- Ensure the list of PSM Critical Instruments is maintained and the method for maintain the list accurate is effective.
- Track all SIS testing requirements and ensure zero overdue SIS testing for the responsible areas.
- Develop and track KPIs related to instrumentation reliability, projects to upgrade bad actor instrumentation.
- Develop and maintain written procedures, checklists, and acceptance forms for testing and documenting equipment performs properly.
- Identify, scope, and implement projects, provide technical support to other site projects related to instrumentation.
- Develops context and understanding of impact of related work to unit operations and identifies opportunities for future continuous improvement projects.
- Provide back-up to the Analyzer Reliability Specialist.
- Remains on call for emergency trouble shooting and operations support.
- Networks with other site process control leaders to share and leverage knowledge and solutions.
- Ensures all work is done in a safe manner consistent with company, local, state, federal and health, safety and environmental regulations and procedures.
Skills & Knowledge Required
- In compliance with COVID protocols, candidate must be fully vaccinated (2 weeks past last dose of COVID vaccine) prior to start date.
- BS Degree in Engineering and 5+ years of operations/process control experience in the chemical industry,
- Or 10+ years of experience in Process Instrumentation.
- Expertise in field instruments - pressure, temperature, flow, level, control valves, shutdown valves
- Experience in preparation of instrument drawings, P&IDs
- Process Hazard and Layer of Protection Analysis experience
- Root Cause Failure Analysis
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong computational and data analysis skills
- Strong IT skills with process modelling and process simulation software
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Good negotiator and influencer
- Good team leader and motivator
- Willingly takes the lead when challenges occur
- Builds networks to enhance effectiveness and share knowledge
- Looks for ways to do things better, faster, and more efficient
TEC Group International is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.