Lead Mechanical Engineer
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Purpose of the job:
The purpose of the Lead Mechanical Engineer is to ensure that the mechanical equipment installed on the Project complies with approved project philosophies, standards, and specifications in addition to local, International and client standards and delivers a safe and reliable plant to the planned cost and schedule.
The role will Lead the Mechanical discipline and provide functional support, guidance, and direction to the Client and Contractor Mechanical engineers. In order to ensure standardisation and consistency across the whole project the role will liaise with the with the relevant disciplines in the FEED/EPC contractors.
The role reports to the Project Engineering Manager. The role responsibilities include:
Pre-Feed Study Role:
- Support the Project Engineering manager to develop a clear and concise set of Mechanical engineering standards which meet the client's, local and international standards.
- Own the Mechanical Engineering elements of the Projects Standards and approve Deviations and Waviers to the standards throughout the project.
FEED Study Role:
- To support the Project Engineering Manager in the performance of his/her duties, deputising as required.
- Monitor all Mechanical Engineering design work performed by the FEED Contractors and other third-party licensors/designers/vendors, providing oversight and guidance, ensuring that all work satisfies project specifications and standards and is delivered inline with the project schedule.
- Ensure detailed review of all FEED Contractors' and vendor systems, processes, and procedures, including PEPs, Quality Plans, etc for mechanical engineering aspects.
- Provide Mechanical Engineering input into the preparation, review and approval of Procurement procedures, the Project Supplier List, contractor/vendor pre-qualification, Purchase Requisitions, Invitations to Tender, etc.
- Provide Mechanical Engineering input into tender clarification/evaluation, contractor/vendor selection and contract/purchase order negotiation and placement, ensuring all activities are carried out in accordance with the client's Code of Conduct
- Lead audits related to the Mechanical discipline of the FEED contractors and support audits from outside parties.
- Attendance at key reviews such as Value Engineering, package HAZOP/LOPA, Plant Model review etc.
- Identify any requirement for specialist support or third-party reviews.
- Drive inter-discipline communication
- Responsibilities generally as above (but now related to working with the EPC Contractor)
- Ensure the facilities are designed, built, and commissioned in compliance with all relevant statutory and Project regulations
- Ensure rigorous application of management of change procedure for all mechanical related changes.
- Support the EPC Contractor and vendors to develop fit-for-purpose ITBs for equipment, packages and bulk material supply, auditing vendor compliance as required
- Support the EPC Contractor to develop fit-for-purpose ITBs for fabrication and construction, auditing contractor compliance as required
- Monitor vendor performance on all Mechanical Engineering matters, ensuring any technical queries are resolved in a proper and timely manner, visiting other engineering offices, site, and vendors as appropriate
- Support the QA Manager in resolving Mechanical Engineering non-conformances, concession requests, etc.
- Liaise closely with the EPC Contractor personnel at the Construction Site, Fabrication Yard(s) on all Mechanical Engineering matters, ensuring yard/field technical queries are resolved in a proper and timely manner
- Support precommissioning and commissioning, etc. as required
- Manage the relevant interface(s) with the clients stakeholders, ensuring the operations function is well-prepared for eventual project ownership, including the timely handover of the agreed Mechanical Engineering deliverables to support training, operations and maintenance procedure development, Maintenance Management System population, etc.
In general, the project personnel will require the following skills:
- Excellent team player
- Strong interpersonal, communication and influencing skills
- Strong planning and organizing ability
- Highly motivated, achievement oriented
- Ability to interface effectively with people of all levels, both internal and third parties, and with wide ranging cultural backgrounds
- Able to define and prioritize issues and then solve the problems through networking with other team members or external sources
- Innovative, with an eye for identifying opportunities to reduce costs and challenge the status quo
- Good understanding of business drivers and ability to align design philosophies
- Broad estimating skills and practical understanding of costs (capital, operating, life cycle)
- Willingness and flexibility to travel
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English.
It would be advantageous to have the following background work experience:
- Major project experience with strong design engineering/procurement background and a broad understanding of multiple disciplines and their interfaces
- Experience of FEED and Detailed Design phases
- Proven track record of delivering leading SHE performance
- Experience of supervising work in a Contractor's Design Office
- Experience of field engineering and/or construction on a major Construction Site.
- Middle Eastern Project Experience
Specific Role Requirements:
- Degree qualified and chartered or equivalent in appropriate engineering discipline.
- More than15 years' experience in Engineering role in Oil and gas or Petrochemical setting. Operations experience would be a significant advantage.
- Seasoned and experienced Engineer.
- Sound knowledge of key disciple areas including:
- International regulations and engineering practices as relates to mechanical design
- Pressure Equipment Directive.
- Roles and Responsibilities of Notifiable Bodies, and their equivalent.
TEC Group International is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.